The Best Burger in Florence


One of the many things I appreciate about Italians is they take their Sundays seriously.  It truly is a day of rest for most stores as they are either open limited hours or not at all.  A great deal of restaurants are closed, only the ones nearby tourist spots are open.  Because of our limited dining options we decided to make it an American day.  Alicia, Laura and I were jonesing for a good ole' American breakfast so we decided to go to The Diner, an aptly named restaurant an Italian guy opened up here in Florence in 2004.  The menu is chock full traditional diner food: pancakes, burgers, and shakes.  We were so excited to have a little piece of "home" in the form of food!  After hemming and hawing over the menu as I usually do, I opted for a cheeseburger and fries instead of breakfast.  Our table was located near the window to the kitchen where you can watch the cook.   After ordering I got up and watched this old man prepare our classic American meal.  He looked up and said in a thick Italian accent to me, "I try to make good."  I smiled back and replied, "I know it will be great."  I often criticize the United States for burgers being their claim to fame, but I was eating my words when I took the first bite.  The best description of a good burger was done by the character Marshall Erikson on the tv show How I Met Your Mother: "It's so much more than "just a burger." I mean... that first bite-oh, what heaven that first bite is. The bun, like a sesame freckled breast of an angel, resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below, flavors mingling in a seductive pas de deux. And then... a pickle! The most playful little pickle! Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce and a... a patty of ground beef so exquisite, swirling in your mouth, breaking apart, and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread. This is God, speaking to us in food." My back was turned to the kitchen, but made a point to put down my cheeseburger, turn around and give the cook a thumbs up.  Now I don't just hand out my thumbs up sign to just anyone.  You have to earn it.  Somehow I think he knew that, and in Italian tradition, he blew a kiss back at me.  It was an exchange of respect.  Me respecting his burger making ability, and he respecting my country's claim to fame. 

Comments

Popular Posts