Bello Sbaglio (Beautiful Mistake)

Three of my classmates and I traveled to Pisa for the day to see the Torre pendente di Pisa (Leaning Tower of Pisa) and beach nearby.  I can't help but think of the Tower as a beautiful mistake.  It's so famous, but what if it didn't accidentally lean?  Or what if they hadn't decided to restore it once they noticed it was leaning?  A great multitude of people wouldn't have traveled to see it.  Pisa may not have ever gotten on the tourist map.  Although intended to stand vertically, the tower began leaning to the southeast soon after the onset of construction in 1173 due to a poorly laid foundation and loose substrate that has allowed the foundation to shift direction.  It was flawed from the beginning.    

When I think of the construction of my life including both the good choices and mistakes I've made, I know that I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't gone down some of those paths.  In my early 20's I had a big fear of regret.  Not so much regret of what I have done, but regret of what I might not do.  I now know that's why I'm often motivated by new experiences.  I always want to try something at least once.  At times it turned out beautifully tragic, other times it was tragically beautiful.  


Laura and I enjoyed a dessert called Calde Calde, essentially a doughnut with Nutella on top.  Needless to say I'm enjoying this so called Mediterranean Diet! 






A particularly interesting conversation/good meal with my classmate Alicia.  (Insalata di Tonno (Tuna salad) with a glass of Chianti paired with brie, caprino, pecorino, parmiagiano, and fontina cheese.  


I've had some fun "life, love, and religion" conversations with my classmates while enjoying some buono mangiare (good food).  Being out of our comfort zones in such a beautiful and intriguing country makes us all very reflective on our lives.  As much as I have the potential to be annoyed being among such youngsters, instead I've enjoyed being able to share some of my wisdom from my experiences now that I'm at the end of my 20's.  During one lunch my friend referred to me as the wise old one.  I wouldn't go as far to think of myself as Yoda, and I certainly haven't mastered the voice, but I do think there is some merit to me being able to give advice. For now I'm continuing to embrace the wise moments and beautiful mistakes.  
Marina di Pisa


Comments

Popular Posts